Join the Garden Savvy Community to connect with gardeners like you

LOGIN SIGN UP
Little House and Homestead
Other

Homesteading is living a simple life but one thing to know before you start is the difference between simple and easy. It is not easy, that's for sure! We learned this when our chicken coop had been torn down by a bear and unfortunately got 2 out of our 3 chickens. He ate well that early morning. With that said, it was a clear message to us the importance our security on the homestead. This happens, and this situation is a common one for many homesteaders and farmers. Make a checklist, and control what you can. Failure will happen but we must learn from those failures. Learn from mine, and make a checklist!

Love, Lizzie <3

Tommy Tomatoes Oh no! What are you going to do to prevent this from happening again?

Little House and Homestead Tommy, we rebuilt it stronger and will have to add some hot wire around it. Right now with the cold we have a little time but it will have to be done by Spring before those bears are out and hungry!

The homestead vibe is different this time a year. Wood burning fires going and a time for relaxation ( some what ) and renewal. Dinner also looks different this time a year. I'll pull out the cast irons that have been passed down from our family and put them to good use. There is **** special when you cook with items used from past generations. The food in my opinion somehow....taste better. Its seasoned with love i guess.

So no more fresh vegetables from the gardens, but its a time of year for comfort food. Since we dont raise any meat animal, I am fortunate to live in small area in NJ that is surrounded by farmland. I buy local, farm fresh meat as much as I can. I picked up some pork and make yummy carnitas.

Christmas is a few days away and I have finally chose a recipe to finish up this years harvest of pumpkins!

There are some great recipes out there, but I knew I wanted to serve **** that had a rich and flavorful taste. **** that would remind me of winter and fill our home with warmth! and full bellies! This is a dish I am really excited about, and can be served for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner!
CARAMELISED ONION, FETA & ROAST PUMPKIN TART
Savoury, easy, just 8 ingredients and made in under 1 hour!
If things aren't too crazy for me I will share the process and results with ya'll!
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays!
<3 Lizzie