Join the Garden Savvy Community to connect with gardeners like you

LOGIN SIGN UP

Hello! I am getting ready to move to a little 5-acre homestead in Indiana (Zone 6a). The property is rather neglected so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Luckily I have a group of friends who are looking forward to helping me create a beautiful and productive space (and get to live out a little bit of their own homesteading dreams). There is already a goat, 2 geese, and a handful of chickens for yard maintenance. We are hoping to add more goats and create actually a laying setup for the chickens this spring.
We are hoping to employ permaculture principles to make a productive landscape to add to the bounty of my annual vegetable garden. I'll admit that I am a mediocre garden with a lot to learn but I love canning so I am committed to having a productive garden.

Hello! I am homesteading in zone 6a on poorly drained, heavy clay soils. 2024 will be my 3rd gardening season on our 5 acres. We have raised laying ducks, meat chickens, and laying hens. I am currently training LGDs, but I am a novice and still on the steep part of the learning curve in that area. I have my PhD in soil science, so I'm happy to entertain related questions.

I tapped maple trees for the first time. I am hoping to process the sap down to about 1/2 a gallon or a gallon of maple syrup. Its been unusually warm here in NJ so I am hoping next weeks weather will be more ideal temperatures. Does anyone else make their own maple syrup?

Whats your favorite seed catelog? annnd....go!

Ok Friends!
Lets hear it! Are you planning on planting anything extra special or new this year? I am garden dreaming over here and before we know it we will be starting our seeds!

We are Hurt's Haven Homestead. We started our homesteading journey while still living in town. We grew a garden and put up as much food as we could from that and raised meat rabbits. We finally made it out of town at the end of last year. Wahoo! Now we have laying chickens, asian heritage pigs and a bigger meat rabbit set-up. My first year garden was pathetic, but we're working on improving the soil and expanding it even more this year. Even tho our family motto is "a little at a time", we were still impressed with the list of things we got done in our frist year here. Don't forget to make a list of what you accomplished this year and a list of goals for your homestead for the new year. And don't worry, it'll get done even if you can only do a little at a time!

Lizzie Congratulations!! We are homesteading on about 1/2 acre. My dream is to buy enough land for a dairy cow :).... All things happen at the right time!

So with many of us embracing winter and missing all those fresh ingredients from our garden, now is the perfect time to bring out that sourdough starter and start baking some fresh bread! Requested by my hubby, we had a warm batch of sourdough english muffins to enjoy this morning. It's a big part of our winters here.

I'd love to know...What are your favorite things to do in the kitchen this time of year?

Lacy We love homemade bread and soups this time of year! Which reminds me, I need to go make extra bread for croutons.

Lizzie Lacy I could have soup everyday! We love it tooo!

Chissy Would you be willing to share you recipe? Those are beautiful!

So with the new year upon us, this would be a great time to think about what has worked for your garden or homestead, and what has not. Are there any changes you would like to make this season? Were there any problems or obstacles last season? How could you solve these problems for the upcoming season?

Yes....its only January but we all know how fast time flies and trust me! Thinking ahead will save you time and energy once your ready to start your seedlings, and back to work outside again.
Just be mindful of this for a smooth transition into Spring!
Love, Lizzie | Little House and Homestead |

I have considered homesteading. I look forward to learning some tips from you.

Lizzie Yes! That's great! I think many imagine homesteading as off grid living. Self sufficiency is deffenitly making a comeback. Nowadays anyone, anywhere can start homesteading, even in a small way. And still be on the grid, enjoying the comfort of our modern time ;)

Hello!
I am so excited for you to be here.
My name is Lizzie -a homesteader in zone 6a. I welcome all homesteaders and farmers, new and established, to become part of this new community.
Our mission here at the Homesteading and Farming Community is to support and encourage each other as we are all on our own journey!
Feel free to ask questions, or just post about what's happening on your homestead!
I look foward to getting to know you all!
<3 Lizzie